INFORMATION E SUGGESTIONS FOR PANDER TERRAZZO TILES USE AND STORAGE
– Any lack of homogeneity of the product is a typical characteristic of the natural components
– The physic – technical mechanical characteristic data published in our marketing master catalogue are related to one color sample of each series. Since Pander Terrazzo is a product made of natural stony components, these data vary with the variation of the color choice (and automatically its natural stony components).
USE AND STORAGE OF AGGLOCEMENT TILES AND SLABS
– Never leave the material outdoors since damage to the packaging or acid or lime-scale rain may damage the surface, reduce its shine and cause marks which are difficult to remove.
– It is advisable, once in possession of the material, to proceed as soon as possible with the installation of the material to avoid eventual discoloration or fluorescence, especially in the case of light colors.
– Before the installation of the material, verify that it is defects-free; in this case please interrupt the installation and communicate it immediately to PANDER ENTERPRISE LTD.
– Every supplied order includes some more tiles free of charges as reserve material. It is recommended that the customer apply a check on the laid material within the second day in order to replace any possible damaged tile during the laying.
– After the installation of the material, some laid panels may present lack of color homogeneity – as for example darker tile center with respect to the edges. This natural phenomenon is related with the natural evaporation process of the humidity absorbed by the tiles from the glue with which it are laid, and it is destined to disappear.
– If panels of the same production batch are laid in different periods, they can present lack of color homogeneity caused by an oxidation process of the cement which the tiles contains.
– Glass and mother-of-pearl: These elements differ in kind from the stone and for this reason single pieces of glass or mother-of-pearl may come off from the tiles, especially polishing the floor after the installation. In this case, fill eventual holes with suitable fillings for natural stone, on sale. The same can happen with the grains chips, in this case act in the same way indicated for the glass and mother-of-pearl.
– Pay greater attention during the installation of tiles bigger than 40×40 cm, because bigger is the dimension of the tiles, higher is the risk of non-homogeneous planarity among them.
FOUNDATION ( Screed or cement plaster)
– Prepare the screed or the plaster using cement mortar and wait its ageing until it reaches a residual humidity < 2% (waiting time: about 1 week for each cm of thickness). The screed must be thicker than 5 cm and respect the existing joints.
– Before the laying, check the screed and the plaster suitability. These must be: insulated, dry, stable, solid, compression-resistant, sufficiently flat and free from loose material, dust, greases, oils, waxes, paints, detaching agents and any other items which may reduce adhesion.
– Correct any irregularity with levelling and auto-levelling products, taking care to verify the perfect planarity of the plane which mustn’t have level differences higher than 2 mm.
LAYING AND FILLING
– Spread the adhesive on the foundation and lay Pander Terrazzo Tiles on the wet adhesive before it forms the superficial pellicle. In case of high temperatures and ventilation, the open time of the adhesives (indicated in the specifications) can notably change. Before the laying, we suggest you to plunge the tiles in clean water for a few seconds and then drip the excess of water away, in order to guarantee a safer grip between the tile and the foundation. Carefully press in order to get a flawless adhesion and level the tiles with care and precision, to avoid differences in level among the tiles. Any excess adhesive which comes to the surface during laying must be removed immediately with a wet sponge, to prevent damages to the surface.
– The width of the laying joints (grouts) must comply with the European standards (width at least 2 mm, so that the sealant can penetrate to the required depth at all points). In any case, the dimensions of the tiles and the thermal expansion coefficient could determine the choice of joints having a different width, especially for outdoor flooring. Existing expansion joints must coincide with joints in the tiles, and subdivision joints must be provided (for great surface panels of approx. 16 sqm), always following the suggestion of the person in charge for the laying.
– Laying must be carried out using adhesives specially developed for laying stone and cement agglomerates. As an indication, we can suggest the following adhesives: FLEX white, H40RAPID or H40MARMOREX (produced by company KERAKOLL) or other products with equal technical characteristics, to use following the instruction of the supplier company, also in relation to the weather situation.
– The filling of joints must be performed while the adhesive is not yet completely hardened, using professional and colored fillers like FUGABELLA (KERAKOLL) or similar products with color as similar as possible to the color of the tile. The cleaning of the filler must be done within the right time (while still fresh) by using a sponge and clean water. Pay attention to colored fillers which may stain the tiles. If necessary, protect the floor before the filling operation.
Important: absolutely avoid covering or protecting the tiled floor with cardboard having colored writings, magazine pages, plastic, nylon or adhesive tapes.
INITIAL CLEANING AND POST-LAYING TREATMENT
CLEANING: During the laying use the utmost caution, in order to prevent the staining of the tiles. The basic washing must be made avoiding products containing acid, even when diluted. We also advice strongly against the use of alkaline detergents, very strong solvents and paint strippers. Neutral detergents on sale are therefore recommended (such as FILACLEANER produced by company FILA diluted 1:10 with water). Remove dry dirt using a cloth. Wash with a neutral detergent diluted with water. Rinse with plenty of clean water without detergent and leave to dry.
– For the cleaning of floors without a wax-finish, wash with a neutral detergent (such as FILACLEANER diluted with water); then often rinse the rag in the detergent always making sure it gets squeezed properly.
– For the cleaning of floors having a wax-finish, wash with a neutral detergent (don’t use hot water). In order to restore the tile gloss, wash periodically with the finish wax solution you have used at the beginning diluted with water (2 glasses of wax every bucket of water).
On dry and clean surface, apply a stain resistant impregnating hydro-repellent protection (such as FILA MP/90) or oil-repellent that doesn’t alter the aesthetic appearance of the tiles (such as FILAFOB). In alternative to the highly-protective treatment, it is possible to apply a coat of floor-finishing wax (such as VENEZIANA produced by FILA company) with a brush, a rag or with a suitable applicator.
– Before a highly-protective treatment (recommended for floors exposed to high risk such as bars, rotisseries, restaurants, and in any place where the tiles may be stain with oil or mechanical oil) check that the floor is perfectly cleaned, in the contrary proceed before in cleaning the tiles with a degreasing detergent (such as FILA PS/87 diluted 1:10 with water).
We give the present information in accordance with our technical and application knowledge. However, these are only general indications not binding for us, as we can’t be present and directly take part to the work in the laying yard. The person in charge of the installation must value the suitability of this method. If you have any doubt please contact the Technical Department of the manufacturing Company and require the “Laying instruction and floor maintenance” manual.